Thursday, February 3, 2011

Today's Workout - 2/03/11

No lifting today.  I decided to do something unusual.

I ran.  

OUTSIDE!


(Waits for applause)


OK...it's not a big, huge accomplishment, at least if it weren't for the fact that the last time I ran outside (on a 40deg day in Texas back near Christmas), I barely made it four minutes before I had to stop to a very slow walk.  I made it 25:46 with two one-minute walks and felt pretty good.  Can't wait until spring!


Of course, back in the day, we trained year-round outside.  Running in the winter (in shorts or warm-up pants) was normal and expected for the Distance Track/Cross Country kids.  You learned what and how to layer, when to go light and when to pile on.  It wasn't uncommon for our cold weather wear to be little more than a long-sleeve t-shirt, a t-shirt, shorts, and a hat/glove combo.  You'd be surprised how many different temperatures that combo was good for...

Offhand, I ran in tights exactly once.  I made it barely two minutes up the street, turned around, took them off, and never wore them again.  That said, I remember being more fond of "loose tights" like these than I'd like to admit.  Shorts worked at least half the time, though.  Today was no exception.

It sure was good to be outside!

No comments:

Post a Comment